OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health and Safety Management Certification
Introduction: OHSAS 1800:2007 Occupational Health and Safety Management Certification is an international standard which provides a framework to identify, control and decrease the risks associated with health and safety within the workplace. Implementing the standard will send a clear signal to your stakeholders that you view employee’s health and safety as a priority within your organisation.
An increasing number of organisations are completing OHSAS 18001 certification as employers are under increasing pressure to ensure that a rigorous health and safety policy is in place which protects employees against possible occupational risks and reduces the likelihood of accidents in the workplace. By planning ahead an organisation can also identify health and safety risks and conform to health and safety legislation.
Benefits of OHSAS 18001:2007
- Improves corporate image and credibility among stakeholders, regulators, customers, prospective clients and the public
- Adoption of international best practice in relation to risk management
- Ensures health and well-being of employees, sub-contractors and the public
- Minimisation of liability of employers through adoption of proactive rather than reactive controls
- Ensures legislative awareness and compliance
- Reduces accident and incident rates by reducing or eliminating workplace hazards
- Improves the incident investigation process
- Increases employee motivation through the provision of a safer workplace and participation process
What industries implement OHSAS 18001:2007?
OHSAS 18001 is implemented by a wide variety of industries. The Health and Safety standard can benefit any organisations that choose to implement it. If you have a workforce of 5 or 500 then OHSAS 18001 will benefit you immediately. The purpose of the management system is to put the focus on the employees and ensure best practices are being implemented. Effectively implementing the standard results in a safer working environment for your workforce, plus reduce risk and liability exposure on the organisation.